Thursday, March 8, 2012

scrap224; Pearl Jam Vs.


This is a journey into sound.....

1. Go. 2. Animal. 3. Daughter. 4. Glorified G. 5. Dissident. 6. W.M.A. 7. Blood. 8. rearviewmirror. 9. Rats. 10. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town. 11. Leash. 12. Indifference.
These 12 songs make up Pearl Jams 2nd album Vs. released on September 19, 1993.
Back in the day, during my formative high school years Grunge music was what was ruling the airwaves everywhere. Seattle Washington was now the new hub of cool. Bands like Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, & of course Pearl Jam were the new 'Big Four'. Of these four bands Pearl Jam was & still remains my favorite. Their first album 'Ten' was new, loud, & personal. Vs was that but much more aggressive in my opinion.
I guess I will discuss the title or titles first. To begin with Vs. was called Five Against One. Then it was to simply be self titled. Then at the last minute the new Pearl Jam album became title Vs. These titles all reflected Pearl Jams current attitude toward the corporate business world. An attitude they capitalized on ever since. The band during this album was; Dave Abbruzzese on drums, Jeff Ament on bass, Eddie Vedder on vocals & rhythm guitar, Stone Gossard on rhythm guitar, & Mike McCready on lead guitar.
I have 4 copies/versions of Vs. my first version was on cassette which I got on its release date. My cassette simply says Pearl Jam due to the album changing titles. (I have a cousin who has a cassette that says Five Against One.). Second, I have the standard CD. Third, I have the expanded CD that includes outtakes & other various later to be released tracks. And finally, the re-released vinyl edition on 180 gram vinyl which of course is the actual purpose of this review.
This vinyl version has a full rich sound. Every note rings true & has an aggressive & sensual feeling about it. The lyrics are both intrinsic & worldly. Pearl Jam are vinyl fans & intend for their albums to not just be released on vinyl but to be experienced through vinyl. I whole-heartily agree. 'Go' get this on vinyl & take it for a spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment